How to Choose the Best Blender for You – A Buyer’s Guide
Are you looking for the best blender on the market? On this website you’ll find authentic blender reviews that will help you to pick the perfect blender for your needs. You can scroll down to read the buyers guide or click here to see my list of best blenders to buy.
A blender is a kitchen appliance that aids in mixing up a variety of ingredients. Blenders can be used to make smoothies, milkshakes, dressings, sauces, soups, and among many other things. There are also exceptional blenders available which can double as other kitchen appliances, saving you precious kitchen space. For example, some blenders also shave ice, which allows users to make snow cones. Other blenders, such as the Vitamix, act as a juicer and a food processor.
When it comes to blenders there are two main types of blenders that you can buy, countertop and handheld. The countertop blenders include ones that can crush ice or even puree soup. These blenders usually sit on the countertop under the kitchen cupboards because of how big they are.
With these countertop blenders, users can find blending jars ranging from 14 ounces to 64 ounces, depending on their specific needs. A handheld blender is also known as an immersion blender and is small enough to fit inside of a drawer. The immersion blenders are held by hand and placed inside of cups or saucepans to puree soft foods, but they should not be used to crush ice or other hard foods.
Must-Have Features of the Best Blenders
- Speed – Speed is one of the most important features of a blender, but users need to think about just how much speed they need. There are many blenders out there that give users a wide range of speeds to choose from when using the blender, but that doesn’t mean that they are better than the other ones on the market. With blenders, three speeds are more than enough to get the job done; even those who buy the variable speed blenders find that they mainly use only the three speeds.
- Removable Blade – Having a removable blade is important because it allows for thorough cleaning. Food and other particles can get stuck underneath the blade of the blender and if it isn’t removed, can cause bacteria to grow, which can create health problems. If the blade isn’t removable, users should ensure that the jar is dishwasher safe so that the extreme heat of the water sanitizes everything that cannot be reached with a dish brush and hot, soapy water.
- Container – The type of container that comes with the blender is also very important. Blenders that offer a container that is uniform in size often require a lot of mixing during use, while tapered containers allow food to funnel down towards the blades allowing for less mixing. Plastic containers are easily scratched, which allows for staining and odors to form. Glass jars are heavier, but are also prone to breaking. Polycarbonate containers are shatterproof and don’t tend to scratch as easily.
- Buttons – One of the worst features that blenders have is push buttons because food and other dirt can become stuck inside the crevices. Rather than choosing a blender that has pushbuttons consider one that has a dial to control the speed or even a touch pad. Toggle switches are also another choice, but can trap food and dirt, but not as much as regular push buttons.
- Looks – What the blender looks like is also important because chances are the blender will sit out on your countertop. Pick out a blender that is going to match your kitchen so if you do leave it out it isn’t an eyesore. The size of the blender is also important because you want to ensure it will fit under your cupboards while sitting on the countertop.
- Price – Like with other products just because it is expensive it doesn’t mean it is better. Always read the reviews because some of your most expensive blenders receive some of the lowest reviews, while the mid priced ones receive the highest reviews.
- Pulse Option – The pulse option is probably the most important feature a blender can have. The pulse button is probably used the most on a blender and is great for getting the best results. The pulse button allows for short bursts of blending, which prevents the mixture from being over blended, but can also help crush bigger items like ice.
While knowing about the must have features is important, so is knowing about the most popular brands of blenders. Three of the most popular brands of blenders are the Vitamix, Blendtec, and Waring. Waring blenders were the first blenders ever to hit the market and are still known today for their high quality and durability.
Waring blenders are a great option for people who are looking for a simple blender. Vitamix and Blendtec are two of the more expensive blenders on the market because of the fact that they are so much more than blenders. Both of these blenders can not only blend perfect smoothies, but can also be used to make soups and sauces that are hot enough to serve directly out of the blender.
The Best Blender on the Market – My Top Recommendations
Choosing the best blender on the market isn’t easy because so many of the top rated blenders out there perform equally well when it comes to the most important function – blending/food processing. It’s the little differences like size, design, ease of use, speed and durability that distinguish a merely good blender from a superb blender.
The two blenders listed below are premium blenders that are the cream of the crop. You can easily buy a cheap blender under $50 but in the long run you’ll find that it pales in comparison to the best rated blenders below. If you use a blender every day or so, my advice is to just pay for a professional blender with incredible blending power and convenient design features or blending options. I definitely recommend this for every home kitchen.
While these premium blenders may be considered expensive since they are a few hundred dollars each, they fully deserve the label of the best blender on the market. I’m absolutely certain that you won’t go wrong with choosing either of the two blenders listed below.
Blendtec Home 1560-Watt Hp3a Blender. This is a powerful blender with 1500 watt, 3 HP direct-drive motor that spins the blades at an ultra-fast 29,000 rpm. It has a wonderful digital touchpad with pre-programmed cycles for all sorts of drinks and food, making it a truly all-in-one appliance. It goes beyond what cheap blenders do and it doesn’t just blend. It chops, grinds, hash, crushes, minces, dices, mills and purees – a single blender can replace a ton of other appliances like grain mills, coffee grinders, smoothie makers and ice crushes.
But enough about the specs. What do I really like about it on a daily basis? The programmed cycles automatically stops the blender after it finishes blending. No more rushing back into the kitchen to turn it off. The fact that you don’t have to babysit it really appeals to me. The flat wide sides of the blender also make it very easy to clean after each use. Finally, the Blendtec Total Blender is really powerful: it totally pulverizes anything you’ll throw into it. No more ‘will it blend?‘ thoughts when you’re preparing food or drinks!
Vitamix 1710 Professional Series Blender. If you are interested in improving your nutrition, serving easy and delicious meals, and making cleanup a snap, this Vitamix is for you. Making smoothies is fast, and kids love getting their healthy greens and fruit this way. Cleanup is simply filling the jar halfway with water and blending. It has a separate “dry” jar, so you can grind your own grains for flour, which is great for gluten-free diets. Its power and versatility give you plenty of opportunities to be creative. The free stand-up cookbook and how-to DVD minimize the learning curve for this machine, and the 7-year warranty gives you peace of mind.
Its 2-peak+ horsepower motor easily tackles the toughest vegetables and ice, while the 120 volt grounded plug and BPA-free jar provide safety. The 64-ounce container holds enough for company, and it’s made in the US. This is an expensive (over $500) but excellent blender. Because of its price, I’m listing it as my second recommendation after the Blendtec Home 1560.
Best Immersion Blender – Recommended Hand Blenders
When it comes to the best immersion blenders, there are several factors to consider. First of all, it shouldn’t be too bulky or heavy. It should have an ergonomic grip that makes it easy for you to hold it over any container, cup or food bowl. Ideally, it should come with other attachments like a whisking or egg-beating option so you can use it for multiple features.
I’ve taken all these factors into consideration while choosing my list of the best hand blenders out there. The following immersion blenders are what I recommend after much testing.
KitchenAid KHB300 Hand Blender. I recently purchased this KitchenAid Hand Blender (model KHB300) in black for small cooking chores and what a difference this hand blender makes! I make a lot of soup and I use it to blend my soups smooth right in the pot. I use it for my guacamole, huumus, and creamy caesar salad dressing and then just store them right in the 4-cup beaker which has a snug-fitting lid. The whisk attachment is perfect for mashed potatoes. The surprising part for me is the chopper attachment. I thought for sure I would never use this, but it minces onions and garlic so finely that it doesn’t make sense for me not to use it! I haven’t tried chopping nuts yet, but the motor is strong so I think it will do that well, too. It’s really sturdy, and everything stores easily inside the little drawstring pouch. I highly recommend this product.
Waring Pro SB10 Professional Immersion Blender. This small but mighty Waring Immersion Blender is an excellent kitchen gadget to have for mixing, whipping and blending. The stainless steel blade is very sharp and gets the job done. The high efficiency motor works in two speeds. Cleaning after use is easy due to the easily removed blade housing. It is so compact and lightweight yet the motor is very robust. I use it much more often than my more complicated full size blender that is more difficult to dig out of the cupboard and requires a detailed cleaning process. I love that I can use any size bowl of my own, depending on the task at hand. This increases the versatility of the product I am no longer able to live without in my kitchen.
Best Personal Blender – Recommended Portable Blenders
While countertop blenders are useful, the best personal blender adapts to your mobile lifestyle. When it comes to choosing the best portable blender, it’s obvious size and weight are important. You want something as compact as possible while performing adequately enough to blend your drinks or food.
While not necessary, the ideal personal blender could offer a variety of different jars for other food preparation purposes such as chopping and grinding. But in the end, the 3 main factors to consider are the size/design of the personal blender, how well it blends and its durability.
My personal recommendations for the best personal blender can be found below.
Cuisinart CPB-300 SmartPower 15-Piece Compact Portable Blender. The Cuisiniart Portable Blending/Chopping System is the best portable blending system I have owned. This collection of 15 pieces makes using the system to make breakfast smoothies a snap. I need to only switch out the blending blade with a lid and instantly the blending canister becomes a portable cup. Four of these cups, with lids, come with the system. Also included is a chopping cup with a special chopping blade, excellent for grinding coffee beans. I like to bring a blender on vacation and in our RV. This is so compact, yet the motor is quiet and powerful. The sleek design takes up less cupboard space and all working parts are simple to clean. The speed this works for chopping any sort of food is amazing.
Still want to read more blender reviews?
The blenders listed above should be more than sufficient for your needs but if you’re still interested in reading more blender reviews, please click here to see all the blender reviews I’ve written so far. Thanks for visiting my website and I do hope that it helps you to find the best blender for your needs!